- 2 portabella mushroom caps
- 2 TBS. Hendrickson’s Classic Italian Dressing
- 1 large clove garlic, or 2 small cloves
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 oz. shredded Provel* cheese or enough to fill the caps
- 4 cherry tomatoes cut in half
* Provel Cheese is a St. Louis product. If you’re not in St. Louis, then use provolone or your favorite melty cheese – or take a drive to St. Louis and pick some up! ☺
Rinse off the caps; allow them to dry a bit. Pour 1 TBS Classic Italian into each portabella, set aside.
In a microwave safe dish cook the 2 slices of bacon in the microwave at ½ power until crisp. Be sure to make an extra slice for yourself… you need a sample lol. Cook 90 seconds at a time, being careful not to burn as time will depend on wattage and thickness of bacon. (I like ½ power as it keeps the bacon from shrinking and burning but you can cook the bacon using your favorite method). Crumble when done and cool, set aside.
Stuff the mushrooms with cheese and garlic cloves. Place 4 halved cherry tomatoes on top of cheese on each.
Set your oven to broil, place caps in oven (I use a cast iron skillet, helpful but not necessary.) Do not set pan too close to broiler or it may burn them – you just want to brown the cheese and cook the mushroom. Do not overcook the portabella or it will become mushy. The broiler works great for this, it’s very quick – just a few minutes – just watch it until done. Remove from oven, divide bacon pieces between the caps and sprinkle on top while cheese is hot. Allow to rest in hot pan for a bit so the cap retains the juice.
Submitted by Josh S. from St. Louis, MO